The success of drilling operations largely depends on selected methods of drilling fluids chemical treatment. The use of drilling mud that meets the properties of geological and technical conditions of drilling can lead to increase of the service life of equipment, save costly chemicals, mud and mud weighting material.
Acrylic co-polymers with carboxy groups are known as a polyanionic filtrate reducers. They are characterized by temperature stability, but salt stability depends on cations type. In presence of monovalent cations these co-polymers are stable. If cations are polyvalent acrylic co-polymers will easily loss there qualities.
The article discusses the water-based drilling fluid containing clays of different mineralogical composition and nonionic polymer additive. As a polymeric additive in the solution we used co-polymers of N-methylolacrylamide. The ratio of components was following (weight %): clay – 10, co-polymer of N -methylolacrylamide - 1-4, water - the rest. Co-polymers of N-methylolacrylamide are colorless powder with a molecular weight of from 3.5·104 to 4·106. The content of methylalanine groups is from 100 to 50 molecule %. Polymers are not volatile, non-hazardous, non-flammable, non-toxic, cold-resistant and readily soluble in water.The use of nonionic co-polymers of N –methylolacrylamide and acrylamide as an additive to thin clay water-based drilling fluids are filtrate reducers. They reduce wall building coefficient and stabilize the drilling mud in the presence of salts including polyvalent metal ions
1. Ryabchenko V.P., Upravlenie svoystvom burovykh rastvorov (ManagementВ of drilling fluid properties), Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1990, 323 p.
2. Darley H.C.H., Gray G.R., Composition and properties of drilling and completionВ fluids, Houston, TX: Gulf Professional Publishing, 1988, 643 p.
3. Bilashev B.A., Problemy proizvodstva khimicheskikh reagentov (Problems ofВ chemical reagents production), Proceedings of the 58th Scientific conferenceВ of students, graduate students and young scientists, Ufa: Publ. of USPTU,В 2007, pp. 207–208.
4. Shvetsov O.K., Alanchev V.A., Zotov E.V., Termopas-34 – a new universalВ controller of drilling muds filtration (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry,В 1997, no. 5, pp. 10–13.
5. Koshelev V.N., Vakhrushev L.P., Belenko E.V., Polymer-disperse synergetic effectsВ and new drilling fluids system (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry,В 2001, no. 4, pp. 22–23.