Current Federal safety code “General Explosion Protection Rules for Explosive and Fire Hazardous Chemical, Petrochemical Plants and Oil Refineries” differentiates between emergency shut-down (ESD) systems design for oil and gas sector and for chemical, petrochemical plants and refineries. When preparing design documentation for booster pump stations, water pre-separators, oil or gas treatment plants and tank farms, hazard and operability analysis, and safety integrity assessment are performed using semi-quantitative risk analysis. When designing ESD system for oil and gas production facilities safety loops are verified, and requirements for system components are specified. For verification of safety loops, Giprovostokneft JSC provides simulation and calculation of instrumental protection loop reliability using Arbitr program for structural and logical modeling. To select optimal ESD system for hazardous industrial facility, and to provide the required reliability, several safety loop options shall be designed that will use different Manufacturer’s equipment (e.g. gauges, programmed logic controllers having documented reliability indicators). Application of risk analysis methods can validate sufficiency of instrumental protection loops for prompt detection, warning and prevention of hazardous events, and reduce CAPEX, if Russian equivalents of ESD equipment are used in the framework of import substantiation.
1. Russian Federal Law No.116-FZ of 21.07.1997, “On industrial safety of hazardous production facilities”,
2. Russian Federal Law No. 123-FZ of 22 July 2008, "Technical regulations on fire safety requirements",
3 Russian Federal Law No. 384-FZ “Technical regulations on the safety of buildings and facilities” of December 30th, 2009, URL: http://cis-legislation.com/document.fwx?rgn=30054
4. Federal norms and rules in the field of industrial safety "General rules of explosion safety for explosive chemical, petrochemical and oil refining industries" approved by order of the Federal Service for Ecological, Technological and Nuclear Supervision No. 533 dated December 15, 2020.
5. Federal norms and rules in the field of industrial safety "Safety rules in the oil and gas industry" approved by order of the Federal Environmental, Industrial and Nuclear Supervision Service No. 534 dated December 15, 2020.
6. Certificate No. 2003611101 on registration of the computer program PC “Arbitr”