Replenishment of oil and gas resources is connected with the geologic study of new license areas which could be adjacent to the natural areas of protection. The specifics of new license areas development were examined. The necessity to research common allowable interests of natural resources usage process participants to which public authorities, subsurface user, local residents and general public are referred was substantiated. The requirements to environment protection were determined and main fields of environmental safety ensuring in the course of development of license areas adjacent to natural areas of protection were conceived. Real-life experience of environment protection in the course of hydrocarbon field reserves development within the areas of restricted conditions of natural resources use was proposed. Specific example of the development of a license area located on the left bank of the river Volga in the Volgograd region is described. The area coincides with the reserve created for protection of bustard listed in the Red Book.
A complex of biodiversity protection activities has been proposed for the construction at the license area Volgogradskoye Zavolzhie. It included minimum size of the drilling site, pitless drilling, etc. Author supervision over the implementation of the nature protection activities and regular reporting to supervisory bodies on the results of ecological and bird control is prescribed. Bird monitoring is a specific nature protection activity. Its duration exceeds the whole cycle of the well drilling by 875 days.
Ban on exploration in nature reserves is not effective, because when ecological norms are strictly followed contamination of the environment is minimum, but the losses related to the impossibility to extract oil and gas are very significant.
1. Okhranyaemye prirodnye territorii v Rossii: pravovoe regulirovanie. Analiticheskiy obzor federal’nogo zakonodatel’stva (Protected natural territories in Russia: legal regulation. Analytical review of federal legislation): edited by Shestakov A.S., Moscow: KMK Publ., 2003, 204 p.
2. Federal Law no. 33-FZ of 14.03.1995 “On specially protected natural reservations”
3. Bezrodnyy Yu.G., Stekol’nikov L.N., Frolov V.G., Environmental problems associated with prospecting for oil and gas in specially protected natural areas and ways to solve them (In Russ.), Neftegazovye tekhnologii, 2000, no. 6, pp. 32–36.
4. Bezrodnyy Yu.G., Minimizing the negative impact of the construction of exploration wells in specially protected natural areas (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2003, no. 3, pp. 98–102.
5. Razrabotka Wytch Farm i priroda (from Schlumberger materials) (In Russ.), Neft’ i gaz Evraziya, 2003, no. 4, pp. 32–37.
6. Wasserstrom R., Reider S., Oil firms in environmentally sensitive areas learning to balance stakeholder interests, Oil & Gas J., 1997, August 18, V. 95, no. 33, pp. 23–27.
7. Abraham K.S., Wytch Farm development stresses environmental responsibility, World Oil, 1990, April, V. 210, no. 4, pp. 85, 86, 88–92, 94.
8. Perkins A.F., Gagliano M.H., Moses P., Monitoring and education help seismic crew protect environment in transition-zone survey, Oil & Gas J., 1999, February 22, V. 97, no. 8, pp. 33–37.
9. Bezrodnyy Yu.G., Akimova A.A., Glozman S.M., Designing and construction of the well at Black Trough area, close to natural reserve grounds (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 1999, no. 8, pp. 50–52.
10. Bezrodnyy Yu.G., Novikova V.V., Ensuring environmental safety of drilling wells in the Saratov Volga Region (In Russ.), Ekologiya i promyshlennost’ Rossii, 2002. , no. 7, pp. 19–23.
11. Shagarova L.B., Razrabotka metodiki kompleksnoy otsenki ekologicheskikh resheniy dlya promyshlennykh ob»ektov neftegazovogo kompleksa (Development of a methodology for the integrated assessment of environmental solutions for industrial facilities in the oil and gas industry): thesis of candidate of technical science, Moscow, 2000.
12. Bezrodnyy Yu.G., Razrabotka metodov obespecheniya okhrany okruzhayushchey sredy pri proektirovanii i stroitel’stve neftegazovykh skvazhin (Development of methods environmental protection when designing and construction of oil and gas wells): thesis of doctor of technical science, Moscow, 2009.
13. Bezrodnyy Yu.G., Environmental safety control of hydrocarbons deposits exploration at left-bank part of Volgograd region (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2006, no. 6, pp. 126–131.
14. Bezrodnyy Yu.G., Glozman S.M., Results of the complex ecological supervision of well 1 Chernaya Padina drilling (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2001, no. 6, pp. 82–85.