Identification of underground services during excavation is an important task, while today determining the location of such objects is difficult because of wide use of non-metallic pipes and communications. In the field of pipeline transport, the detection of non-metallic underground services is also associated with the localization of unauthorized tie-ins on trunk pipelines, as well as in case of surveys during the construction or reconstruction of underground services in the presence of existing ones. Simultaneously with the use of non-metallic materials for underground services, detection methods are also being developed. The paper provides an overview of modern methods for detecting non-metallic pipes, and discusses aspects of the interaction of pipe material, ground conditions and the pumping product with existing physical fields used in devices for detecting the location of underground utilities. A comparison of methods technical characteristics allows determining the most suitable one for non-metallic pipes pumping oil and petroleum products. The paper highlights the main criteria for comparing the methods and draws conclusions about their practical applicability at the facilities of the main pipeline transport. To develop final recommendations for the use of effective methods for determining the location of non-metallic underground services technical, economic and organizational criteria should also be taken into account later. Further research in this area will make it possible to develop regulatory requirements for the performance of excavation work, as well as expand the tool base for searching for unauthorized tie-ins in combination with other significant factors that fix potential violations.
1. Glukhova O.V., Fattakhov M.M., The effectiveness of the use of pipelines made of polyethylene pipes (In Russ.), Neftegazovoe delo, 2006, no. 2, pp. 18–26.
2. Savvina A.V., Popov S.N., Fedorov Yu.Yu., Monitoring of experimental-industrial underground gas pipeline made of reinforced polyethylene pipes (In Russ.), Nauka i obrazovanie, 2017, no. 1, pp. 63–66.
3. Arzamastsev S.V., Biryukov A.V., Kostrikina N.A., Methods for marking the route of a polyethylene gas pipeline (In Russ.), Nauchno-tekhnicheskie problemy sovershenstvovaniya i razvitiya sistem gazoenergosnabzheniya, 2020, no. 1, pp. 30–35.
4. Biryukov A.V., Kostrikina N.A., Birkalova E.I., Polyethylene reinforced pipes. standardizing requirements at the national level (In Russ.), Nauchno-tekhnicheskie problemy sovershenstvovaniya i razvitiya sistem gazoenergosnabzheniya, 2020, no. 1, pp. 26–29.
5. Pshenin V.V., Komarovskiy M.S., Podlesnyy D.S., Rozanova L.R., Innovative technologies of subsurface utility engineering for non-metallic pipeline location (In Russ.), Transport i khranenie nefteproduktov i uglevodorodnogo syr'ya, 2021, no. 5–6, pp. 17–26.
6. Hexagon A.B., IDSGeoRadar: The leader in multi-frequency and multi-channel. Ground Penetrating Radar, Retrieved, 2021, November 20, URL: https://idsgeoradar.com/products/ground-penetrating-radar/stream-c
7. Leica Geosystems AG. Operating Instructions, Retrieved, 2021, November 20, URL: https://leica-geosystems.com/products/detection-systems/utility-detection-solutions
8. Uses radio waves to uncover underground utilities & substructures, AM Gradiometer (AMG), Retrieved, 2021, November 20.
9. Hung Seok Jeong, Arboleda C.A., Abraham D.M. et al., Imaging and locating buried utilities, October 2002, Report No. FHWA/IN/JTRP-2003/12.
10. Asadollahi S., Dorée A.G., Scholtenhuis L.L., Vahdatikhaki F., Review of detection and monitoring systems for buried high pressure pipelines, Final Report, 2017, January 23.
11. Locating underground drainage apparatus – In search of best practice, Scottish Roads Research Board, March 2016.
12. Li J., Guo T., Leung H. et al., Locating underground pipe using wideband chaotic ground penetrating radar, Sensors, 2019, V. 13, pp. 1–12.
13. Axelsson G., Barry V.J., Berne P. et al., Radiotracer applications in industry, A Guidebook, IAEA Technical Report Series No 423, IAEA Vienna, September 2004.
14. Piont D.Yu., Trushin R.S., Temis M.Yu., The main aspects of trunk pipelines designing in active tectonic fault pipeline-crossing sections (In Russ.), Nauka i tehnologii truboprovodnogo transporta nefti i nefteproduktov = Science & Technologies: Oil and Oil Products Pipeline Transportation, 2014, no. 3 (15), pp. 46–53.
15. Sensit technologies ultra-trac APL. Sensit divisions, Retrieved, 2021, November 20, URL: https://www.gasleaksensors.com/underground-pipe-locators.html
16. Trassoiskatel' dlya diagnostiki nemetallicheskikh i metallicheskikh truboprovodov “Uspekh TPT-522N” (Locator for diagnostics of non-metallic and metallic pipelines “Uspeh TPT-522N”), URL: https://www.technoac.ru