Currently according to low-carbon economic development, carbon dioxide is considered not only as a greenhouse gas and industrial waste, but also represents a valuable resource. Due to the constant increase of hard-to-recover reserves it becomes necessary to use enhanced oil recovery (EOR) methods. The use of carbon dioxide in EOR can be a solution. Multiple studies and tests have established that carbon dioxide can be used as an agent to increase oil recovery, and its injection also solves the problems of its capture and disposal. EOR methods represent an improvement of the usual processes of oil and gas field development based on the development and generalization of the basic concepts of the two–phase filtration theory. In many industrial areas carbon dioxide is used for various technological operations. For many years of practice in the development of oil and gas fields, many methods and techniques have been proposed to increase the oil extraction.
This article describes the main prerequisites for the use of carbon dioxide, gas properties, the main types of oil production technologies and EOR. On the basis of global field tests of EOR using carbon dioxide, features, possible complications and disadvantages of using carbon dioxide to enhance oil recovery are considered. Development of technologies and criteria for their effective application are dicussed.
1.CCUS: monetizatsiya vybrosov CO2 (CCUS: monetization of CO2 emissions), Vygon consulting, 2021, URL: https://vygon.consulting/products/issue-1911/
2. Petukhov A.V., Kuklin A.I., Petukhov A.A. et al., Origins and integrated exploration of sweet spots in carbonate and shale oil-gas bearing reservoirs of the Timan-Pechora basin, SPE-167712-MS, 2014, DOI: https://doi.org/10.2118/167712-MS
3. Roshchin P.V., Obosnovanie kompleksnoy tekhnologii obrabotki prizaboynoy zony plasta na zalezhakh vysokovyazkikh neftey s treshchinno-porovymi kollektorami (Substantiation of the complex technology of treatment of the bottom-hole formation zone on deposits of high-viscosity oils with fractured-porous reservoirs): thesis of candidate of technical science, St. Petersburg, 2014, 112 р.
4. Fomkin A.V., Zhdanov S.A., Tendences and terms of technologies development of efficiency of oil recovery enhancement in Russia and abroad (In Russ.), Neftepromyslovoe delo, 2015, no. 12, pp. 3–5.
5. Glavnov N.G., Dymochkina M.G., Litvak E.I., Vershinina M.V., Sources of carbon dioxide supply for eor operations in Russia (In Russ.), PRONEFT’’. Professional’no o nefti, 2017, no. 2(4), pp. 47-52.]
7. Makhmudbekov E.A., Vol’nov A.I., Intensifikatsiya dobychi nefti i gaza (Intensification of oil and gas production), Moscow: Publ. of VNIIOENG, 2001, 263 р.
8. Surguchev M.L., Vtorichnye i tretichnye metody uvelicheniya nefteotdachi plastov (Secondary and tertiary methods of enhanced oil recovery), Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1985, 308 p.
9. Trukhina O.S., Sintsov I.A., Experience of carbone dioxide usage for enhanced oil recovery (In Russ.), Uspekhi sovremennogo estestvoznaniya, 2016, no. 3, pp. 205–209, URL: http://www.natural-sciences.ru/ru/article/view?id=35849.
10. Sintsov I.A., Trukhina O.S., Povyshenie nefteotdachi putem zakachki uglekislogo gaza (Enhanced oil recovery by carbon dioxide injection), Proceedings of International scientific and technical conference dedicated to the 90th anniversary of the birth of Kosukhin A.N.: edited by Evtin P.V., Tyumen: Publ. of TyumSPTU, 2015, pp. 47-49.
11. URL: https://ppt-online.org/203922
12. Patent RU 2630318 C1, Development method of tight oil reservoirs by cyclic pumping of carbon dioxide, Inventors: Khisamov R.G., Akhmetgareev V.V., Podavalov V.B.
13. Klimov D.S., Eksperimental’nye issledovaniya fiziko-khimicheskikh yavleniy pri uchastii CO2 v fil’tratsionnykh i obmennykh protsessakh (Experimental studies of physical and chemical phenomena with the participation of CO2 in filtration and exchange processes): thesis of candidate of technical science, Moscow, 2015, 117 р.
14. Dedechko V.A., Geologo-fizicheskie kriterii realizatsii metoda vodogazovogo vozdeystviya (Geological and physical criteria for the implementation of the water-gas treatment method), URL: http://www.rusnauka.com/1_NIO_2014/Geographia/7_155517.doc.htm
15. Shaynurov D.F., Criteria of applicability of water alternating gas injection (In Russ.), Forum molodykh uchenykh, 2019, no. 12, pp. 998–1001.
16. Lyan M., Fizicheskoe modelirovanie vytesneniya nefti gazom (rastvoritelem) s ispol’zovaniem kernovykh modeley plasta i slim tube (Physical modeling of oil displacement by gas (solvent) using reservoir core models and slim tube): thesis of candidate of technical science, Moscow, 2016, 118 р.
17. Alcorn Z.P. et al., Core-scale sensitivity study of CO2 foam injection strategies for mobility control, enhanced oil recovery, and CO2 storage, Proceedings of E3S Web of Conferences, 2020, V. 146 (4), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202014602002
18. Afzali S., Rezaei N., Zendehboudi S., A comprehensive review on enhanced oil recovery by water alternating gas (WAG) injection, Fuel, 2018, V. 227, pp. 218–246, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2018.04.015
20. Khromykh L.N., Litvin A.T., Nikitin A.V., Application of carbon dioxide in enhanced oil recovery (In Russ.), Vestnik Evraziyskoy nauki, 2018, no. 5, URL: https://esj.today/PDF/06NZVN518.pdf21. URL: https://adv-res.com/pdf/ARI-2021-EOY-2020-CO2-EOR-Survey-OCT-21-2021.pdf