The article outlines possible future development of drilling and drilling technology in Russia and worldwide, as well as the main criteria that will determine the figures for volumes of drilling in Russia. The main priority in development of drilling technology worldwide is formulated as an ultra-high-spec digital drilling unit; its main specification is briefly described. Analysis is made of international trends in technology and business of drilling, the situation on the home market for drilling services; analytical and calculated data is given for the current state and the directions of development of the rig fleet. Priorities aimed at maintaining the current production level for the next 15 years are pinpointed and validated for industrial production sectors to develop drilling technology and produce new (or upgrade the existing) Russian surface and downhole drilling equipment. The priorities (with the main performance goals) are given as follows: rig-up, automation of tripping, top drive system, solids control systems, high pressure drilling systems, cementing unit, blowout prevention equipment, automated rig control systems, adaptive standalone drilling unit control systems and downhole process systems and equipment. Implementation of these priorities pivots on emergence of Russian electronic component base to create modern and future-oriented automated rig control systems, various bearings, hydraulic components ranging from connectors to pumps, non-magnetic steels and alloys, wear-resistant seals, high-temperature downhole sensors, high-temperature parts for high pressure systems, a fleet of modern Russian machining equipment, etc. A development strategy is suggested for this undertaking by making use of the domestic talent pool and involvement of Military Industrial Complex related companies in civil production programs.
1. Shmelev P., Hard-to-recover reserves as objective reality (In Russ.), Sibirskaya Neft', 2018, V. 149, pp. 17–23, URL: https://www.gazprom-neft.ru/press-center/sibneft-online/archive/2018-march/1489610/
2. Oilfield Market Report 2019, Spears & Associates, Inc., URL: https://spearsresearch.com/reports.
3. Looking into the future with Alan Orr, Drilling Contractor, 2007, January/February, pp. 24–26, URL: https://www.drillingcontractor.org/dcpi/dc-janfeb07/DC_Jan07_orr.pdf
4. Robinson K.A., Mazerov K., Land drillers usher in era of super-spec rigs, URL: https://www.drillingcontractor.org/land-drillers-usher-in-era-of-super-spec-rigs-48413
5. Beyazay-Odemis B., The nature of the firm in the oil industry international oil companies in global business, Routledge, 2018, 167 p.6. Voevoda A.N., Karapetyan K.V., Kolomatskiy V.N., Montazh oborudovaniya pri kustovom burenii skvazhin (Installation of equipment for multiple well drilling), Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1987, 206 p.