We present the results of assessment for petroleum occurrence in the Jurassic-Cretaceous deposits of Yamal Peninsula based on the water – gas equilibrium. It was identified that the water – gas system within the study area is complex. Reservoirs were assumed to present "relicts" of the previous hydrogeological epoch, and water being the most mobile component of this system, resulting in the slow forward reservoir shift to the equilibrium that corresponds to the qualitatively new condition of geochemical system.
Most of the studied territory has favorable conditions for preservation of petroleum pools. The northern and central Yamal (south-east of Kara megasyncline, south-west of South-Kara megasaddle, Bovanenkovo-Nurminka inclined ridge, southern Pai Khoi-Novaya Zemlya megamonocline, southern and central East Pai Khoi monocline) are notable for a small shift of the phase equilibrium in the water-gas system, suggesting discovery of large hydrocarbon reserves in them. The analysis of the obtained results confirmed the already discovered pools on the studied fields and allowed to predict 13 lost pools. In contrast, the available hydrogeochemical data reduce the opportunity to reveal new hydrocarbon deposits in the Yarudeika megahigh. One can also talk on the low probability of preserving oil and gas condensate accumulations in this area, even if they were formed at the previous stages of the water-driven system development.
1. Davydova E.S., Kananykhina O.G., Kovaleva E.D., Largest, gigantic and unique fields of free gas in the Western Siberia: the results of explorations, surveying and development, the perspectives of new discoveries (In Russ.), Vesti gazovoy nauki: problemy resursnogo obespecheniya gazodobyvayushchikh regionov Rossii, 2014, no. 3 (19), pp. 77–81.
2. Bukaty M.B., Reklamno-tekhnicheskoe opisanie programmnogo kompleksa HydrGeo (Advertising and technical description of the HydrGeo software package), Moscow: Publ. of VNTITs, 1999, 5 p.
3. Novikov D.A., The application of the search method for hydrocarbon deposits based on the study of water-gas equilibria (In Russ.), Gazovaya promyshlennost', 2015, no. 3, pp. 12–17.
4. Salmanov F.K., Fedortsova S.A., Dyadyuk N.P., Purkin L.B., Yamal oil and gas zone of the Tyumen Region (In Russ.), Geologiya nefti i gaza, 1973, no. 7, pp. 1–7.
5. Kontorovich A.E., Surkov V.S., Geologiya i poleznye iskopaemye Rossii (Geology and minerals of Russia), Part 2: Zapadnaya Sibir' (Western Siberia): edited by Orlov V.P., St. Petersburg: Publ. of VSEGEI, 2000, 477 p.
6. Kontorovich V.A., Belyaev S.Yu., Kontorovich A.E. et al., Tectonic structure and history of development of the West Siberian geosyneclise in the Mesozoic and Cenozoic (In Russ.), Geologiya i geofizika = Russian Geology and Geophysics, 2001, V. 42, no. 11–12, pp. 1832–1845.
7. Ermilov O.M., Karagodin Yu.N., Kontorovich A.E., Osobennosti geologicheskogo stroeniya i razrabotki unikal'nykh zalezhey gaza Kraynego Severa Zapadnoy Sibiri (Features of the geological structure and development of unique gas deposits of the Far North of Western Siberia), Novosibirsk: Publ. of SB RAS, 2004, 141 p.
8. Matusevich V.M., Ryl'kov A.V., Ushatinskiy I.N., Geoflyuidal'nye sistemy i problemy neftegazonosnosti Zapadno-Sibirskogo megabasseyna (Geofloidal systems and oil and gas potential problems of the West Siberian megabasin), Tyumen': TSPTU, 2005, 225 p.
9. Shvartsev S.L., Novikov D.A., The nature of vertical hydrogeochemical zoning of petroleum deposits (on the example of the Nadym-Taz interfluve, West Siberia) (In Russ.), Geologiya i geofizika = Russian Geology and Geophysics, 2004, V. 45, no. 8, pp. 1008–1020.
10. Novikov D.A., Sukhorukova A.F., Hydrogeology of petroleum deposits in the northwestern margin of the West Siberian Artesian Basin, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 2015, V. 8, no. 10, pp. 8703–8719.
11. Novikov D.A., Hydrogeochemistry of the Arctic areas of Siberian petroleum basins, Petroleum Exploration and Development, 2017, V. 44, no. 5, pp. 780–788.
12. Shemin G.G., The model of the structure, the conditions for the formation and prospects of the oil and gas potential of the Upper Jurassic deposits of the North of the West Siberian oil and gas province and the adjacent water area of the Kara Sea (In Russ.), Geologiya, geofizika i razrabotka neftyanykh i gazovykh mestorozhdeniy, 2004, no. 10, pp. 29–43.
13. Mkrtchyan O.M., Varushchenko A.I., Potemkina S.V., Some aspects of regional geological model of Upper Jurassic deposits of West Siberia (In Russ.), Geologiya nefti i gaza = The journal Oil and Gas Geology, 2005, no. 1, pp. 30–35.
14. Kislukhin V.I., Brekhuntsova E.A., Shreyner A.A., Features of the geological structure of the Upper Jurassic sedimentary formations on the Yamal peninsula (In Russ.), Geologiya, geofizika i razrabotka neftyanykh i gazovykh mestorozhdeniy, 2003, no. 4–5, pp. 30–34.
15. Novikov D.A., Geological and hydrogeological conditions of the Paleozoic basement of the Novoportovskoye oil and gas condensate field (In Russ.), Izvestiya vuzov. Neft' i gaz, 2005, no. 5, pp. 14–20.
16. Novikov D.A., Possibilities of oil-and-gas content in Middle-Jurassic deposits of Yamal peninsula by hydrogeological data (In Russ.), Geologiya nefti i gaza = The journal Oil and Gas Geology , 2013, no. 6, pp. 65–74.
17. Novikov D.A., The degree of gas saturation of groundwater in the productive part of the Jurassic hydrogeological complex of the Kharampur megaval (In Russ.), Geologiya nefti i gaza = The journal Oil and Gas Geology, 2000, no. 3, pp. 51–56.
18. Novikov D.A., Assessment of current petroleum system based on the water-gas equilibrium study results (as exemplified on the Paleozoic sediments of the southeastern West Siberia) (In Russ.), Otechestvennaya geologiya, 2015, no. 3, pp. 7–32.
19. Shvartsev S.L., Obshchaya gidrogeologiya (General hydrogeology), Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1996, 423 p.
20. Nemchenko N.N., Rovenskaya A.S., Shoell M., The origin of natural gases of giant gas deposits in the north of Western Siberia (In Russ.), Geologiya nefti i gaza = The journal Oil and Gas Geology , 1999, no. 1 – 2, pp. 45–56.вЃ