The Middle Carboniferous section in the area of research includes the deposits of Podolskian, Kashirskskian, Vereiskian formations of the Moscovian and the Bashkirian stages, all of them are characterized as highly promising in terms of future exploration and production. The research is aimed to develop a new framework of lithological and petrophysical criteria for characterization of the main rock types. The workflow includes thorough analysis of the results fr om the extended set of core studies and tests such as lithology and petrographic descriptions, profile measurements on the whole core and detailed investigations of core plugs. The rock types are identified from a representative collection of samples which includes all the stratigraphic units of the Middle Carboniferous with maximum areal coverage of the study area in the north-west of Bashkortostan wh ere this play is proved productive and widespread. Under the scope of the research new approaches to petrographic description of the rock types are defined and the obtained results are used to adjust the available dataset and identify certain features within the known lithotypes which control the formation of the void space within the rock. The inferred textural and structural features of the identified lithotypes are also supported by the results of CT core scanning. Such approach to rock characterization helps to define critical petrophysical properties of the studied rocks as well as to set out criteria for their identification from well logs. The paper presents the findings from the detailed lithological and petrographic study of each target stratigraphic unit in the Middle Carboniferous section and the main criteria for their petrophysical characterization.
1. Zoloeva G.M., Farmanova N.V., Tsareva N.V. et al., Izuchenie karbonatnykh kollektorov metodami promyslovoy geofiziki (The study of carbonate reservoirs by the methods of field geophysics), Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1977, 183 p.
2. Aliev M.M., Yarikov G.M., Khachatryan R.O., Kamennougol'nye otlozheniya Volgo-Ural'skoy neftegazonosnoy provintsii (Carboniferous deposits of the Volga-Ural oil and gas province), Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1975, 262 p.
3. Proshlyakov B.K., Kuznetsov V.G., Litologiya (Lithology), Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1991, 444 p.
4. Tyurikhin A.M., Masagutov R.Kh., Vliyanie strukturno-fatsial'nykh usloviy i epigeneza na formirovanie kollektorov kizelovskogo gorizonta Yuzhno-Tatarskogo svoda (The influence of structural-facies conditions and epigenesis on the formation of the collectors of the Kizelov horizon of the South Tatar arch), Ufa, 1997, 206 p.
5. Vissarionova A.Ya., Stratigrafiya i fatsii sredne-nizhnekamennougol'nykh otlozheniy Bashkirii i ikh neftenosnost' (Stratigraphy and facies of the Middle-Lower Carboniferous deposits of Bashkiria and its oil content), Moscow: Gospoptekhizdat Publ., 1959, 222 p.
6. Lozin E.V., Masagutov R.Kh., Minkaev V.N., Stroenie i evolyutsiya osadochnogo chekhla platformennoy Bashkirii v svyazi s zakonomernostyami razmeshcheniya zalezhey nefti i gaza (The structure and evolution of the sedimentary cover of the platform Bashkiria in connection with the regularities of oil and gas deposits location), Ufa, 1989, 338 p.
7. Dobrynin V.M., Vendel'shteyn B.Yu., Kozhevnikov D.A., Petrofizika (Fizika gornykh porod) (Petrophysics (Physics of rocks)), Moscow: Neft' i gaz, 2004, 369 p.
8. Dakhnov V.N., Geofizicheskie metody opredeleniya kollektorskikh svoystv i neftegazonasyshcheniya gornykh porod (Geophysical methods for determining reservoir properties and oil and gas saturation of rocks), Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1975, 343 p.
9. Bulgakov R.B., Ishbulatova R.Kh., Privalova O.R., O dostovernosti dannykh laboratornogo analiza kerna kak petrofizicheskoy osnovy interpretatsii GIS (On the reliability of the data of the core laboratory analysis as the foundations of petrophysical log interpretation), Proceedings of nauchnogo simpoziuma “Novye geofizicheskie tekhnologii dlya neftegazovoy promyshlennosti” (New geophysical technologies for the oil and gas industry), Ufa, 2002, 83 p.
10. Metodicheskie rekomendatsii po podschetu zapasov nefti i gaza ob’emnym metodom. Otsenka kharaktera nasyshchennosti po dannym GIS (Guidelines for the calculation of reserves of oil and gas by volumetric method. Assessment of the nature of saturation according to well logging): edited by Petersil’e V.I., Poroskun V.I., Yatsenko G.G., Moscow – Tver: Publ. of VNIGNI, 2003, 261 p.
11. Itenberg S.S., Shnurman G.A., Interpretatsiya rezul'tatov karotazha slozhnykh kollektorov (Interpretation of complex reservoirs logging data), Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1984, 374 p.