This present study includes analysis of absolute pipeline sizes (length, width, well thickness) relevance for pipelines calculation of strength and durability, and analysis of effect the pipeline sizes on resistance to failure. There was considered statistical and energetically aspects of the size-scale effect and obtained results of calculation. Evidence from these calculation suggests that strength properties (tensile and yield strength) decreases by 10 – 30 % with increasing in absolute sizes of present pipe sections.
The obtained results of calculations are confirmed by results of experiments performed at different times, and correlate with the statistics of failures on main oil and product pipelines of Transneft PJSC. Comparison of results of definition of mechanical properties according to the results of calculations based on the scale factor and evaluation of the effect of scale factor in accordance with current regulatory documentation (construction rules and regulations SNiP 2.05.06-85*) indicates a high degree of correlation of the results of the calculations and expert estimates, which were obtained on the basis of years of experience of operating pipelines (suggested by the leading experts in the field of reliability of building structures, the dependence of fracture resistance in a dangerous section of the volume of metal in the development of SNiP 2.05.06-85* has been reflected in an implicit form using the reliability coefficient by appointment).
According to the results of the calculations determined the coefficient values of the strength reduction for main sizes of pipes of main oil and product pipelines, and proposed approaches to the estimation of scale factor for pipeline structures, as well as its use in the revised calculations of durability, reliability and survivability of the piping at the stage of designing and exploitation.
1. Mazur I.I., Ivantsov O.M., Bezopasnost' truboprovodnykh sistem (Safety of pipeline systems), Moscow: ELIMA Publ., 2004, 1104 p.
2. Ponomarev S.D., Biderman V.L., Likharev K.K. et al., Raschety na prochnost' v mashinostroenii (Calculations on strength in engineering), Moscow: Mashgiz Publ., 1956, 884 p.
3. Bezopasnost' Rossii. Bezopasnost' truboprovodnogo transporta (Security of Russia. Safety of pipeline transport), Moscow: Znanie, 2002, 752 p.
4. Streletskiy N.S., Geniev A.N., Belenya E.I., Metallicheskie konstruktsii (Metal constructions), Moscow: Stroyizdat Publ, 1961, 776 p.
5. Zinevich A.M., To the complex quality management system of the construction for the main oil and gas pipelines (In Russ.), Stroitel'stvo truboprovodov, 1991, no. 11, pp. 8–13.
6. Kharionovskiy V.V., Kurganova I.N., Nadezhnost' truboprovodnykh konstruktsiy: teoriya i tekhnicheskie resheniya (Reliability of pipeline constructions: theory and technical solutions), Moscow: Publ. of INEI RAN, Energotsentr, 1995, 125 p.
7. Zinevich A.M., Development of scientific bases of pipeline reliability (In Russ.), Stroitel'stvo truboprovodov, 1992, no. 2, pp. 15–18.
8. Collected papers “Issledovaniya napryazheniy i prochnosti korpusa reaktora” (Studies of the stress and the strength of the reactor vessel), Moscow: Atomizdat Publ., 1968, 280 p.
9. Issledovanie napryazheniy prochnosti yadernykh reaktorov (Studies of the strength of nuclear reactors), Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1987–2008.
10. Makhutov N.A., Prochnost' i bezopasnost': fundamental'nye i prikladnye issledovaniya (Strength and safety: fundamental and applied research), Novosibirsk: Nauka Publ., 2008, 528 p.
11. Makhutov N.A., Permyakov V.N., Resurs bezopasnoy ekspluatatsii sosudov i truboprovodov (Resource of safe operation of vessels and pipelines), Novosibirsk: Nauka Publ., 2005, 516 p.
12. Radionova S.G., Lisin Yu.V., Makhutov N.A. et al., Scientific-technical, socio-economic and legal aspects of oil and oil products transport reliability (In Russ.), Nauka i tekhnologii truboprovodnogo transporta nefti i nefteproduktov, 2016, no. 5, pp. 20–31.