Microgel polymer flooding is one of enhanced oil recovery (EOR) methods. Polymer systems are injected through injection wells. Main active agents in the polymer systems are microgel particles resulting from the reaction of gelling agents (aluminates) with polyacrylamide solution. These microgel particles are crossed-linked polymer globules from 0.4 to 5 μm in diameter. Microgel systems have better shear degradation resistance than conventional polymer solutions. Enhanced oil recovery is achieved through plugging of high-permeability formation zones and improvement of reservoir sweep.
The advantages of microgel-based EOR techniques are the following: high efficiency even with low concentrations of polyacrylamide and cross-linker, lower cost because domestic environmentally-friendly cross-linkers are used; besides, water mineralization does not matter, neither does weather environment or season.
The primary targets of microgel polymer flooding are sandstone reservoirs with permeability more than 0.1 μm2 developed by contour water flooding.
The paper presents Tatneft PJSC experience of application of microgel polymer systems in the Company’s fields. Well logging confirmed that microgel systems can effectively be used to control conformance and to improve displacement efficiency.
Microgel polymer systems are effective in water-producing and non-uniform permeable multi-zone reservoirs. This technology proved to be particularly effective in the commingled production zones of the Kynovian and the Pashian horizons, as well as in the Bobrikovskian and the Kynovian development targets. It should be noted that the amount of displaced oil differs significantly from one producing well to another, and this is the subject of further study.
1. Ibatullin R.R., Ibragimov N.G., Takhautdinov Sh.F., Khisamov R.S., Uvelichenie nefteotdachi na pozdney stadii razrabotki mestorozhdeniy. Teoriya. Metody. Praktika (Enhanced oil recovery at a late stage of field development. Theory. Methods. Practice), Moscow: Nedra-Biznestsentr Publ., 2004, 292 p.
2. Muslimov R.Kh., Nefteotdacha: proshloe, nastoyashchee, budushchee (optimizatsiya dobychi, maksimizatsiya KIN) (Oil recovery: Past, Present, Future (production optimization, maximization of recovery factor)), Kazan': FEN Publ., 2014, 570 p.
3. Shvetsov I.A., Manyrin V.N., Fiziko-khimicheskie metody uvelicheniya nefteotdachi plastov. Analiz i proektirovanie (Physico-chemical methods of enhanced oil recovery. Analysis and design), Samara: Publ. of Samara University, 2000, 336 p.
4. Rafikova K.R., Sabakhova G.I., Khisametdinov M.R., Application of micro-gel polymer systems at the fields of PJSC "Tatneft" (In Russ.), Oborudovanie i tekhnologii dlya neftegazovogo kompleksa, 2015, no. 5, pp. 43–46.
5. Khisametdinov M.R., Ganeeva Z.M., Gaffarov Sh.K., Tatneft innovative physical/chemical enhanced oil recovery technology (In Russ.), Neft'. Gaz. Novatsii, 2013, no. 8, pp. 32–34.
6. Lake L.W., Johns R., Rossen B., Pope G., Fundamentals of enhanced oil recovery, USA, Richardson: Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2014, 489 p.
7. Varlamova E.I., Khisametdinov M.R., O vliyanii destruktivnykh faktorov na svoystva mikrogelevoy sistemy, prednaznachennoy dlya uvelicheniya nefteotdachi iz terrigennykh plastov (On the influence of destructive factors on the properties of the microgel system, designed to enhance oil recovery from terrigenous reservoirs), Proceedings of TatNIPIneft', 2012, V. 80, pp. 143–147.
8. Ibatullin R.R., Gaffarov Sh.K., Khisametdinov M.R., Varlamova E.I., O mekhanizme uvelicheniya nefteizvlecheniya iz terrigennykh plastov s pomoshch'yu zakachki mikrogelevogo polimernogo sostava s PAV (Mechanism of increase oil recovery from clastic reservoirs using injection of microgel polymeric composition with surfactant), Collected papers “Teoriya i praktika primeneniya metodov uvelicheniya nefteotdachi plastov” (Theory and practice of enhanced oil recovery methods), Proceedings of IV International Scientific Symposium, 18–19 September 2013, Moscow: Publ. of VNIIneft', 2013, Part 2, pp. 24–29.9. Gaffarov Sh.K., Khisametdinov M.R., Varlamova E.I., Novaya tekhnologiya dobychi ostatochnoy nefti s pomoshch'yu zakachki geleobrazuyushchikh i mikrogelevykh sostavov (New technology of residual oil production by injection of gel-forming and micro-gel compositions), Collected papers “Innovatsii v razvedke i razrabotke neftyanykh i gazovykh mestorozhdeniy” (Innovation in the exploration and development of oil and gas fields), Proceedings of International scientific and practical conference dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the birth of Shashin V.D., 7–8 September 2016, Kazan': Ikhlas Publ., 2016, Part 1, pp. 281–283.