The article presents approaches to development of acoustic guided wave technology for rod blanks, pump rods and oil well tubing non-destructive testing and the results of industrial application of ADNSH and ADNKT defect detector developed at manufacturer companies and downhole pumping equipment elements service workshops.
The acoustic defect detector ADNSH designed for rod blanks and pump rods testing uses the pulse-echo method allowing to detect large local defects like dints, corrosion damage, overlaps, rolling skins. The acoustic defect detector ADNKT designed for pump-compressor pipes testing additionally uses the multiple reflection method based on receiving the echo-pulses multiply (5–10 times) reflected fr om external and internal defects and opposite ends of a pipe. The multiple reflections method allows to identify both local and extended along the pipe defects, improves the sensitivity to small-sized defects and decreases the uncontrollable dead-zone at the pipe end from wh ere the acoustic signal is radiated, whereby the testing is carried out only from one end of the pipe.
The industrial implementation of new acoustic guided wave testing technologies applied to pump rods and pump-compressor pipes makes it possible to eliminate the operation admission for elements with a reduced service life and to increase the service life of downhole pumping equipment; to extend the wells operation overhaul period due to the reduction in the number of underground repairs caused by pump rod breakages and pump-compressor pipe depressurizations; to get the increase in oil production by reducing the equipment downtimes and number of underground repairs; to raise the level of industrial and environmental safety in the enterprise.
The technology for acoustic guided wave testing of extended objects developed offers the following advantages: it doesn’t need the scanning procedure, the use of contact or immersion fluids and the tested object surface preparation; it has an excellent productivity; it’s sensitivity to defects is high enough regardless of their bedding depth and distance from the transducer; it allows to identify the most dangerous defects affecting the cyclic durability of pump rods and pump-compressor pipes.
1. Klimov V.A., Valovskiy V.M., On operational efficiency of sucker rods
(In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2015, no. 1, pp. 94–97.
2. Klimov V.A., Valovskiy K.V., Gavrilov V.V. et al., Results of complex tests of
pumping rods technical diagnostic tools in Tatneft OAO from the point of view
of quality of the system of maintenance service and their practical importance
(In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2009, no. 4, pp. 94–98.
3. Proskurkin E.V., Petrov I.V., Zhuravlev A.Yu. et al., The ways of improvement
of operational reliability and extension of service life of threaded joints in oilcountry
tubes (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2015, no. 1,
4. Grakhantsev N.M. Kanyuk O.P., Nagaev R.F., Evaluation of technical risks
and improving the reliability of oilfield equipment and oil transportation systems
of Belkamneft (In Russ.), Promyshlennaya i ekologicheskaya bezopasnost',
okhrana truda, 2007, no. 7(9), pp. 52–56.
5. Bykov I.Yu., Yushin E.S., Stand for tests of tubing thread connections at
screwing and unscrewing in corrosive and abrasive environments (In Russ .),
Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2014, no. 8, pp. 98–99.
6. Younho Cho, Model-Based guided wave NDE: The evolution of guided
wave NDE from “Magic” to “Physically Based Engineering Tool”, J. Nondestruct.
Eval., 2012, V. 31, no. 4, pp. 324–338.
7. Alleyne D.N., Vogt T., Cawley P., The choice of torsional or longitudinal excitation
in guided wave pipe inspection, Insight, 2009, V. 51, no. 7, pp. 373–377.
8. Budenkov G.A., Nedzvetskaya O.V., Lebedeva T.N., Technology for defect
detection in equipment in metal and petroleum-producing industries
(In Russ.), Tyazheloe mashinostroenie, 2004, no. 11, pp. 18–23.
9. Budenkov G.A., Korobeynikova O.V., Kokorin N.A., Strizhak V.A., Experience
of acceptance acoustic control and hardening of sucker rods during servicing
(In Russ.), V mire nerazrushayushchego kontrolya, 2007, no. 4, pp. 14–19.
10. Murav'eva O.V., Strizhak V.A., Zlobin D.V. et al., Technology of acoustic
waveguide inspection of pumping and compression pipes (In Russ.), V mire
nerazrushayushchego kontrolya, 2014, no. 4, pp. 51–56.
11. Budenkov G.A., Nedzvetskaya O.V., Principal regularities of Pochhammerwave
interaction with defects (In Russ.), Defektoskopiya = Russian Journal of
Nondest ructive Testing, 2004, no. 2, pp. 33–46.
12. Murav'eva O.V., Zlobin D.V., The acoustic path in the method of multiple
reflections during nondestructive testing of linearly extended objects
(In Russ.), Defektoskopiya = Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing, 2013,
no. 2, pp. 43–51.
13. Murav'eva O.V., Murashov S.A., Use of torsional waves for detection of operational
defects in pump rods and tubing (In Russ.), Vestnik Izhevskogo gosudarstvennogo
tekhnicheskogo universiteta, 2011, no. 2, pp. 149–154.
14. Ibragimov N.G., Development of methods of column NKT protection from
asphalt-tar-paraffin sediments on Tatarstan fields (In Russ.), Neftyanoe
khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2005, no. 6, pp. 110–112.
15. Gus'kova I.A., Gil'manova D.R., Analysis of the application of mechanical
methods to control asphalt-resin-paraffin deposits in Tatneft (In Russ.), Geologiya,
geografiya i global'naya energiya, 2010, no. 2(37), pp. 160–162.
To buy the complete text of article (a format - PDF) or to read the material which is in open access