Key words: electromagnetic logging while drilling, gas-oil-saturated reservoir, deviated and horizontal well, electrical resistivity, inversion.
New Russian logging-while-drilling equipment for investigating deviated and horizontal boreholes has been developed. It consists of electromagnetic, gamma-ray and inclinometer modules. The technical features of the equipment, as well as its laboratory testing results and practical log data are considered in the paper. Along with that, we have developed the basic algorithms and software for the electromagnetic signals numerical simulation and inversion. Its testing demonstrates promising results when determining resistivity and boundaries location for the layers that are within the sondes sensitivity area. We provide an example of the inversion results for the signals measured in a three-meter water-oil saturated sand-shale reservoir penetrated by a horizontal wellbore.
1. Kennedy W.D., Corley B., Painchaud S. et al., Geosteering using deep resistivity images from azimuthal and multiple propagation resistivity, SPWLA 50th Annual Logging Symposium, 2009, June 21–24 .
2. Li Q., Omeragic D., Chou L. et al., New directional electromagnetic tool for proactive geosteering and accurate formation evaluation while drilling,
SPWLA 46th Annual Logging Symposium, 2005, June 26–29.
3. Meyer W.H., Hart E., Jensen K., Geosteering with a combination of extra
deep and azimuthal resistivity tools, SPE 115675-MS, 2008.
4. Omeragic D., Habashy T., Esmersoy C. et al., Real-time interpretation of formation structure from directional measurements, SPWLA 47th Annual Logging Symposium, 2006, June 4–7.
5. Rabinovich M., Le F., Lofts J., Martakov S., The vagaries and myths of lookaround deep-resistivity measurements while drilling, Petrophysics, 2012, V. 53, no. 2, pp. 86–101.
6. Rosthal R., Barber T., Bonner S. et al., Field test of an experimental Fully Triaxial Induction tool, SPWLA 44th Annual Logging Symposium, 2003, June 25–25.
7. Aksel'rod S.M., Advance navigation in horizontal drilling (based on foreign
publications) (In Russ.), Karotazhnik, 2012, no. 9 (219), pp. 87–122.
8. Epov M.I., Kayurov K.N., El'tsov I.N. et al., New apparatus complex SKL of geophysical logging and program-method means of EMF PRO interpretation (In Russ.), Burenie i neft', 2010, no. 2, pp. 16–19.
9. Eremin V.N., Volkanin Yu.M., Tarasov A.V., Tool-and-method support for electromagnetic logging while drilling (In Russ.), Karotazhnik, 2013, no. 4 (226), pp. 62–69.
10. Glinskikh V.N., Nikitenko M.N., Epov M.I., Processing high-frequency electromagnetic logs from conducting formations: Linearized 2D forward and inverse solutions with regard to eddy currents (In Russ.), Geologiya i geofizika = Russian Geology and Geophysics, 2013, V. 54, no. 12, pp. 1942–1951.
11. Surodina I.V., Epov M.I., High-frequency induction data affected by
biopolymer-based drilling fluids (In Russ.), Geologiya i geofizika = Russian Geology and Geophysics, 2012, V. 53, no. 8, pp. 1062–1069.
12. Nikitenko M.N., Epov M.I., Glinskikh V.N. et al., Development of LWD highfrequency resistivity tool, Proceedings of the 6th Saint Petersburg International Conference and Exhibition 2014 Geosciences Investing in the Future (Saint Petersburg, Russia, 7–10 April 2014), Saint Petersburg, 2014.
To buy the complete text of article (a format - PDF) or to read the material which is in open access