This article continues the series of publications devoted to the problem of ensuring iceberg security during exploration drilling in the waters of the Arctic seas. During 2012-2017 Russian Oil Company Rosneft together with Russian Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute and Arctic Research Center (Rosneft R&D institute) conducted 12 complex expeditions both in the seasons of maximum ice cover and open water in the seas of the Russian Arctic. The research was focused on the new environmental (oceanographic/ice/etc.) data gathering and testing of iceberg towing technologies.
Iceberg detection is one of the most challenging topics in the conditions of polar night and bad weather. Ice, wind and fog may significantly decrease possibilities of detection that might be crucial for ice defense. Different means and equipment used to detect ice features might be used but unfortunately there is no “magic pill” for all cases.
The paper presents generalized information on the morphometry and dynamics of icebergs in the southwestern part of the Kara Sea, as well as results of the applicability analysis of different means of icebergs detection. These data make it possible to formulate the requirements for the iceberg detection block of the optimal ice defense system for arctic conditions.
1. Buzin I.V., Mironov E.U., Sukhikh N.A. et al., Investigation of drift of the ice features on the Russian Arctic Offshore with the help of automatic radio beacons based on the ARGOS satellite system (In Russ.), Nauchno-tekhnicheskiy vestnik OAO “NK “RosneftК№”, 2016, no. 4, pp. 4–9.
2. Abramov V., Atlas of Arctic icebergs, Backbone Publishing Company, 1996, 70 p.
3. Bychkova I.A. Smirnov V.G., Use of satellite data for detecting icebergs and evaluating the iceberg threats, Ice and snow, 2018, no. 4, pp. 537–551.
4. Smirnov V.G., Bychkova I.A., Satellite monitoring of ice features to ensure safety of offshore operations in the Arctic seas, Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, 2015, V. 51, no. 9, pp. 935–942.
5. Sochnev O.Ya., Kornishin K.A., Tarasov P.A, Sal'man A.L., Glazovskiy A.F., Lavrent'ev I.I., Efimov Ya.O., Mamedov T.E., Studies of glaciers in the Russian Arctic for safe marine operations in iceberg waters (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2018, no. 10, pp. 92–97.
6. Pashali A.A., Kornishin K.A., Tarasov P.A., Efimov Ya.O., Nesterov A.V., Chernov A.V., Buzin I.V., Svistunov I.A., Maksimova P.V., Iceberg towing as a technology for its drift change to ensure safe Arctic development (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2018, no. 11, pp. 36–40.
Библиометрия за 2017 год