Key words: multicomponent hydrocarbon mixtures, phase behavior, non-equilibrium, compositional simulation, upscaling
Results of phase behavior simulations for hydrocarbon mixtures presented in the paper show that scale effect is to be considered while examining non-equilibrium effects observed in laboratory studies (porous media and free volume), as well as indicated by field data. Although observed phase behavior can be simulated at small scale by means of locally equilibrium models with limited interphase mass transfer, a non-equilibrium model is required at larger scales. A method is developed for computation of coexistent hydrocarbon phases’ compositions in flow simulations with non-equilibrium phase transitions. Owing to same notation of flow equations as in conventional equilibrium models, the method is applicable as an extension to currently available algorithms implemented in compositional simulators. A physically meaningful upscaling method is derived to match locally equilibrium small scale calculations of phase behavior by large scale non-equilibrium simulations.
1. Brusilovskiy A.I., Fazovye prevrashcheniya pri razrabotke mestorozhdeniy nefti i gaza (Phase transformations in the development of oil and gas fields), Moscow: Graal' Publ., 2002, 575 p.
2. Rozenberg M.D., Kundin S.A., Mnogofaznaya mnogokomponentnaya fil'tratsiya pri dobyche nefti i gaza (Multiphase multicomponent filtering during oil and gas extraction), Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1976, 335 p.
3. Nghiem L.X., Li Y.K., Agarwal R.K., A Method for modelling incomplete mixing in compositional simulation of unstable displacements, Reservoir Simulation Symposium, Houston, USA, Feb. 6-8, 1989, SPE 18439.
4. Abasov M.T., Abbasov Z.Ya., Fataliev V.M., et al., Neftyanoe khozyaystvo – Oil Industry, 2011, no. 2, pp. 97-98.
5. Buleyko V.M., Gazovaya promyshlennost', 2007, no. 1, pp. 22-25.
6. Zakirov S.N., Somov B.E., Gordon V.Ya., Palatnik B.M., Mnogomernaya i mnogokomponentnaya fil'tratsiya (The multidimensional and multicomponent filtration): a handbook, Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1988, 335 p.
7. Lobanova O.A., Indrupskiy I.M., Avtomatizatsiya, telemekhanizatsiya i svyaz' v neftyanoy promyshlennosti, 2010, no. 10, pp. 19-23.8. Zakirov E.S., Upscaling v 3D komp'yuternom modelirovanii (Upscaling in 3D modeling), Moscow: ZAO “Kniga i Biznes” Publ., 2007, 344 p..